Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day One

Ten hours on a plane, 24 hours and counting without sleep, but I'm in London.
London's not too different. lies. It's different. For one thing, the ground floor of a building isn't Floor 1. Also, all their electrical outlets have switches, so I didn't think my plugs were working for about five minutes. But I'll get to these strange differences in a second, let's first get to my adventures getting here.

Landing at around 6:48 AM, I cleared customs around 7:30 and was heading to school with my uncle around 8:15. I got to school at 9:05, about an hour early I thought. Wrong, I was 5 hours early. Ten AM check in begins tomorrow. I'm still a day early, which may explain why I realized I had nothing to do at all today.

Anyways, I headed back to my uncle's house, where I helped watch his kids and run errands. I also ate lunch at his mother's place. So much for my grand plans once I arrived in London. But around lunch time, I began to feel horrible. I almost wanted to throw up my chapatti. I was so tired, full, thirsty, and disoriented that I almost passed out in my food. But then it passed.

I got back to my dorm around 2 PM and got into my room with the help of my neighbor. My room is a single, and sized as such. There's a small desk and bed, a closet with too many shelfs, and a sink. The sink is a nice touch. But because I came a day early, my key will expire at 10 AM tomorrow. Apparently, I am signed up for a one day stay, then a continued stay. So, I need to get a new key for some reason. And this isn't the only annoying bureaucracy of being in England. They also wouldn't give me my ethernet cable because they were required to give them out tomorrow. They also had to reset my keycard three times already, and this is my temporary, one-day keycard.

But me being the supersmart compute wizz that I am, I got onto the LSE wireless network anyways. But the interwebs recognized that I wasn't in America anymore. Here are some examples of what happened when I went to may favorite sites:



I'm such a geek for finding any of that interesting. But here is the best part about the UK, by far:
That's BBC iPlayer, and I'm watching Top Gear, again.

Oh and here's what I saw on the A40 freeway into the city today:
Banksy telling me to slow down.

No comments: