Thursday, March 26, 2009

Traveling While Abroad


Like any student that plans to go abroad, I hope that I'll be able to visit some other places in the region while I'm there. I was hoping that I'd be able to backpack through Europe with my brother during the Easter break in March/April, but it's looking like he will most likely come visit me during summer, once I am finished with my exams. Based on the map above, I have clearly been to much of Europe (red pins), but there are even more places I'd like to visit (yellow pins). I didn't add any pins to Eastern Europe because I honestly would rather see Western Europe. I've been to the major cities like Florence, Paris, Barcelona, London, Naples, Zurich, and Amsterdam. But I still haven't been to Berlin, Munich (or anywhere in Germany for that matter), Madrid, Lisbon, Rome, Brussels, Vienna, or Budapest. So, with the extensive time I will have between the second and third term at LSE, I hopefully will get to go explore more of Europe. I am guessing that through the program I will get to visit Scotland and Stonehenge and perhaps even Dublin or Belfast. Like my brother, I do have a strange affinity for Ireland. Initially I considered studying a semester in Dublin, but that idea was nixed pretty quickly. I'll have to figure out all this travel stuff while I'm over there, but I know about and have stayed in hostels before. I have taken the cheap flights like RyanAir and Easyjet before as well, and I'm even familiar with the trains, so this whole process shouldn't be too stressful. Nonetheless, thinking about all the places I'll get to visit while abroad only makes me more excited though. And that doesn't help the fact that I am still sitting here in Washington, DC waiting until my next class starts.

Also, on a side note: the gerund form of travel is traveling, but it's travelling in the UK. Which spelling should I use?

No comments: